Shell Lake Public Library Long-Range Plan 2015 - 2018
The Shell Lake Public Library will meet the needs of a diverse and growing community by providing services and partnering with other community organizations. The Board of Trustees and the staff will work together to serve the public and to respond to the changing nature of library services.
The Shell Lake Public Library will foster an appreciation for lifelong learning and offer access to information and services in a variety of formats.
Popular Materials & Reference
- Provide access to current, popular materials and services.
- Serve as a community gathering place.
- Provide local information, local history and cultural diversity resources.
- Encourage Community Collaboration.
Education (Lifelong Learning)
- Foster a lifelong love of reading and learning in people of all ages.
- Foster lifelong learning by providing resources and assistance for individuals seeking and evaluating information.
- Provide an adequate number of well-trained staff and volunteers.
- Align library services with community needs.
- Ensure adequate financial resources to meet community library service needs.
- Use appropriate technology to provide services, assist staff and increase efficiency.
- Ensure clean, safe, well-maintained and easily accessible facilities.
We provide current information and high demand materials in a variety of formats.
Goal 1 – Provide current, popular materials and programs.
- Collect materials to meet public demand, balanced with community needs for library materials.
- Look for opportunities to partner with other organizations to present programs of current interest.
- Provide displays on topics of current interest.
- Support electronic delivery of services remotely, and in house, in collaboration with NWLS.
- Support electronic technology assistance for community members of all ages.
We are a gathering place where experience and knowledge is shared.
Goal 1 – Serve as a community gathering place and encourage cooperation with community organizations and schools.
- Provide a safe and welcoming library environment inside and out for all ages.
- Work with local organizations to promote the library and the Shell Lake Community.
Goal 2 – Provide local information, local history and cultural diversity resources.
- Provide local informational resources.
- Maintain a display rack/board for community information
- Offer culturally diverse materials.
We support and assist those who foster a love of reading and learning through library resources and programming.
Goal 1 – Foster a lifelong love of reading and learning in people of all ages.
- Present activities in collaboration with the school and other community organizations for people of all ages.
- Provide activities that serve community interests.
- Develop collections that encourage reading for all ages.
- Develop collections of varying formats (Ex. Audio books, videos, travel with me backpacks) for people of all ages.
- Provide services and materials for individuals with special needs.
- Provide electronic resources for all to use
- Provide a quiet reading space.
We maintain resources necessary to meet the community’s library needs, Wisconsin Public Library Standards and accomplish our mission and roles.
Goal 1 – Provide an adequate number of well-trained staff and volunteers.
- Annually review the Long Range plan with library board and staff.
- Hire high-quality staff and provide them with adequate compensations.
- Develop salary schedules using like communities as comparison, as budget allows.
- Provide staff with appropriate training opportunities.
- Respect the value of each staff member, promote team work and communication and provide good management and supervision.
- Respect the authority and responsibility of the Board of Trustees
- Encourage community member involvement with the library.
Goal 2 – Align library services with community interests.
- Annually evaluate library services and set goals based on statistics, surveys and user feedback.
- Continue to market library services and events to the community through a variety of social media outlets.
- Actively communicate the variety and value of library services to the community.
Goal 3 – Pursue adequate financial resources to meet community library service needs.
- Develop budget based on goals and annual activities.
- Request financial support from the “Friends of the Library”.
- Seek grant funding from NWLS, as well as, additional sources.
- Work with surrounding townships to receive financial reimbursement for serving county residents.
Goal 4 – Maintain a fluid vision regarding the future direction of the library.
- Staying informed of potential developments relevant to the future of the library.